Robert G. Schrader, Esquire
Florida Bar Member in Good Standing since 1987
I help company stakeholders including management, internal and external clients and business partners solve complex business and legal problems and reduce liability. As a proactive legal and business leader I accomplish this by using critical thinking and creative problem solving skills to develop solutions and deliver results that achieve company objectives.
- Lead negotiator for 30-year $180M government International Terminal development project.
- Chief negotiator for $10M loan workout, resulting in the removal of onerous financial covenants and waiver of technical defaults for the company.
- Major project management and development work included negotiation of MOU/LOI, lease and related agreements, advising external architects, designers and engineers on requirements to meet company’s operational needs and ensure compliance with complex USCG/DHS/TSA security regulations. Managed lobbying and public relations efforts to ensure approval of project.
Legal and Executive Experience:
Robert G. Schrader, Esq., Legal Counsel and Mediator, 1998-2002 / 2007 – Present
Serve as outsourced General Counsel and help US, international and online clients accomplish business results while managing legal risks with an understanding of business implications of recommended course of action. I provide business savvy negotiation, legal and business counsel on Federal regulatory compliance (including, inter alia, FDA, DHS, ATF, DEA, BIS, OFAC, CBP, and FTC), contracts, employment, IP licensing, general corporate matters, dispute resolution, and litigation management.
Creo Mundi / Kees Protein, Outsourced Legal Counsel, 2013-2014
Senior legal advisor to founder and CEO on FDA compliance and labeling for new products. Recommended alternative ingredient based on research ultimately adapted in formulation and initiated discussions with local vendor for distribution of product.
Scotia Prince Cruises Ltd. General Counsel / VP Legal & Regulatory Affairs, 2002-2007
Lead lobbying and public relations with external constituencies and local, state, federal and foreign regulatory agencies. Key member of executive team, working with CEO, COO and senior management on strategic planning. Advised senior management of business units and subsidiaries in US and Canada to implement business strategy, mitigate risks and maximize returns. Managed overall legal function with direct responsibility for risk management and international compliance in heavily regulated industry, litigation management, hotel operations, private and public partnerships, real estate, international IPR, and international privacy and marketing compliance. Planned and managed budget for legal, insurance and risk management functions; supervised crisis management; directed corporate compliance for subsidiaries and affiliates; managed and supervised outside counsel and professionals in US, Bermuda, Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, UK and Panama.
- Negotiate and draft contracts with private and public partners and vendors; developed database system to manage relationships and contracts.
- Successful use of legal and business team leadership skills and understanding of cultural and political milieu resulting in positive relations and closing complex cross-border commercial transactions.
- Draft and implement Employee Manual, HR policies, and internal investigative and dispute resolution process for employees in US and Canada, counsel and train managers and supervisors on best practices for internal and customer dispute resolution.
Nationwide Labor Management, Nashua, NH. VP Government Affairs & General Counsel 2001-2002
Responsible for all legal functions of nationwide recruiter for non-union contractors. Oversaw attorneys in US and Canadian offices handling immigration, labor and employment matters for construction industry clients seeking temporary and permanent labor solutions. Extensive lobbying with Department of Labor at cabinet level to remedy discrepancies between regional DOL processing and influence of unions.
L’Auberge, Inc., Tamworth, NH. Owner/President, 1998 – 2008
Responsible for overall management, operations, finance, HR and marketing for award winning lodging property with mulitiple dining venues
Ruden, McClosky (now Greenspoon Marder) FL. Of Counsel, 1995 – 1999
Practice focused on advising owner/investors, Boards and C-level executives of public and privately held companies on establishing US operations, international commercial agreements, regulatory compliance, risk management, business development, and stakeholder relationships.
- Developed and directed unique program to market international legal services resulting in 400% increase in practice revenues.
- Organized presentations to investors and executives in Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica, Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Germany, Spain, Turkey, Russia and South Africa.
Sandler, Travis & Rosenberg, P.A., Miami, FL, Partner, 1987 – 1995
Partner at leading international law firm focused on regulatory compliance, customs and international trade law. Advised owners, investors, C-level executives of public and privately held companies on international and domestic commercial transactions, duty-free operations, Customs bonded facilities, foreign-trade zones, export controls, general corporate and immigration law.
- Draft proposed regulations and statutory amendments and lobby for implementation.
- Legal / Regulatory team member obtaining approval by CFTC for Port of Miami as “Exchange Port” for Coffee, Sugar & Cocoa Exchanges’ coffee “C” futures contracts.
Nova Southeastern Univ. Shepard Broad Law Center, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, Adjunct Professor International Legal Clinic, 1996 – 2008
Successfully designed and created all curricula, course materials and assessments for: International Regulation of Trade Workshop; International Business Transactions; Regulation of International Business, Trade and Finance; and Transnational Practice Skills/International Law Clinic.
Florida International University, Miami, FL 1994 – 1996, Adjunct Professor, Administrative Law
Nova Southeastern University, Shepard Broad Law Center, Fort Lauderdale, FL. JD, cum laude;
Law Review; Dean’s List 1984, 1985, 1986; Goodwin Scholarship; Am. Jur. Book Awards: Contracts, Property, International Trade and US Law; Phi Delta Phi Treasurer; Nova International Law Society; Jessup International Moot Court; and Judicial Intern Honorable Norman C. Roettger, Jr., USDC.
Univ. of San Diego, Paris Institute on International and Comparative Law, Paris, France Diploma
Book Award: International Business Transactions; Dean’s List
Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, Florida, BA Microbiology/Chemistry
Dean’s List, Faculty Scholar (CLEPed 30 Semester Hours/ began college as Junior), Alpha Tau Omega